Time: August 26, 2012 from 6pm to 7pm
Location: Bb Collaborate / Elluminate http://learningtimesevents.org/webheads/
Website or Map: http://learning2gether.pbwork…
Event Type: online, professional, development
Organized By: Vance Stevens
Latest Activity: Aug 26, 2012
Dan Bassill, leader of the Tutor/Mentor Connection and Tutor/Mentor Institute, LLC in Chicago will lead a discussion seeking to learn ways educators and non profits are recruiting and utilizing volunteers as tutors and/or mentors in school and non-school programs throughout the world. Dan would like to draw information from participants. Here are some questions that will be asked:
* Where do your find volunteers?
* What are your expectations for your volunteers? Where do you share this information?
* Describe your volunteers. Are they business people, college students, community residents?
* How long do your volunteers stay involved with you? Less than a year? One or two years? More than two years?
* How do you tell your story to show volunteers how and why they should join you? If you use a web site, blog or video, please share links.
* How do you screen volunteers? What is your interview process?
* Once you have volunteers how do you train and support them?
Dan has posted this set of questions on his blog at http://tutormentor.blogspot.com/2012/08/volunteer-recruitment-discussion-sunday.html
In addition, this is presentation shared volunteer-recruitment ideas that can be applied by any organization seeking to recruit tutors/mentors.http://www.tutormentorexchange.net/images/PDF/recruitmentwkshop2011.pdf
This discussion is also intended to be part of an on-going strategy helping raise visibility and recruit volunteers for the 2012-13 school year. If you use volunteers and have a recruitment strategy post it on a blog or other forum in advance and then share what you're doing during this forum. If you'd like to share facilitator role add your name and organization. Invite others who utilize or want to utilize volunteers to participate. Visit this link to see how Dan's group has been helping mobilize volunteers for Chicago area tutor/mentor programs since 1995.http://www.tutormentorexchange.net/chicagoland-volunteer-recruitment
When: This event is scheduled at 9AM CST (1400 GMT)
Where: Blackboard Collaborate (Elluminate)